Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim my husband as a dependent because he was unemployed for half of 2023?

My husband been looking for work since we moved to Ontario (from Quebec) and I have been the sole provider since August 2023. Should I claim him as a dependent?
1 Reply

Can I claim my husband as a dependent because he was unemployed for half of 2023?

No, generally you can not claim your husband as a dependent.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA):

“the dependant must also be one of the following persons by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption:

• your parent or grandparent
  • your child, grandchild, brother, or sister under 18 years of age 
  • your child, grandchild, brother, or sister 18 years of age or older with an impairment in physical or mental functions”

However, you may be eligible to claim the spouse amount as long as you meet the following conditions:

As per the CRA:

"Line 30300 – Spouse or common-law partner amount

Claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and their net income from line 23600 of their return (or the amount that it would be if your spouse or common-law partner filed a return) was less than your basic personal amount (plus $2,499 if your spouse or common-law partner was dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions)."

By indicating that you are married, TurboTax will automatically calculate a spousal credit based on your net income. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.