Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I netfile when name is slightly different than my latest NOA ?

Turbo tax George Taxpayer and NOA has it  George H Taxpayer
1 Reply

Can I netfile when name is slightly different than my latest NOA ?

You can see the complete list of restrictions on the NETFILE eligibility page on the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA’s) website.

If you have changed your name, you need to let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know as soon as possible to ensure that your tax files reflect your new name accurately. The CRA does not accept changes of name by email or online, not even in the My Account platform.

If you are only changing your first name or last name, you need to call 1-800-959-8281 to advise the CRA of your name change. (You will likely be asked to provide figures from certain line numbers of your tax return for verification purposes)

You can also change your name by mail or fax. You must provide documentation if you have already changed your name. Write a letter with the following:

• an original or certified true copy of one of the following documents:
    • a name change certificate from a provincial/territorial vital statistics department
    • a court order issued under an act on change of name
  • your old and new names
  • your social insurance number
  • your signature

Send your letter by mail or fax to your tax centre. See this link to find your tax centre.

For more information, please TurboTax article: Advising the Canada Revenue Agency of a Name Change 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.