Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

photog18-

Can I open past year Turbotax files in the current desktop software? I need to access specific W-2 info from these older returns.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I open past year Turbotax files in the current desktop software? I need to access specific W-2 info from these older returns.

The tax data files for a prior year tax return can only be opened by the TurboTax software for the year of the data file.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you purchased downloads of the software for the earlier years from TurboTax.com you can download them again and reinstall them. Years earlier than 2020 are no longer supported.

You can purchase downloads of the TurboTax software for 2020, 2021, and 2022 at this link. Earlier years are no longer available.

If you didn't save the pdf files and have the data files ending in .tax2020, .tax2021, etc.  you need the same year program to open it.  If you can't install the programs you could try the TaxPrinter service to convert a .tax file to pdf at
https://www.taxprinter.com

But Turbo Tax won't have the actual W2 copies, only the info you imported or manually entered from them.  So if you entered it wrong.........

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't know what TaxPrinter includes in the PDF that they send you, other than the tax return itself. If you want to try them, I suggest that you first contact them and ask if the W-2s will be included. The tax return forms do not contain the detailed W-2 information.

TaxPrinter has no connection with TurboTax, and we are not making a recommendation. We're just making you aware of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies