Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I start a ReFile for my 2022 return to change my entry date

Hi,

I am a newcomer to Canada. I entered Canada on Aug 31 2022. My accountant made a mistake not including my entry date in my original 2022 tax return. It resulted in CRA asking me for tax on my non-Canadian income before entering Canada.

The CRA told me that I should file a paper T1ADJ form to request adding the entry date and removing non-Canada income from 10400. The accountant told me she can do it via ReFILE online. 

My question is: can I go with ReFILE because I fall into the category where ReFILE cannot be used according to CRA: "change a return for an international or non-resident taxpayer (including deemed residents of Canada, newcomers to Canada, and individuals who left Canada during the year)"? 
ReFILE: Online adjustments for income tax and benefit returns - Canada.ca

My residency status in 2022: entered Canada from US on Aug 31, 2022. Working and living full time in US before that. I had a leased apartment, driver license and MSP and bank account in Canada in 2022. But no car, no house or significant other. I a fulI time student in Canada 2022. I think newcomer / part-time resident might be the safest bet.

Side question: my accountant used software to file original return. I have a CRA account. If I want to do ReFILE myself, is it possible? Or it has to be through the accountant

Thank you.