Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot e-file amended 2020 returns

Why is TurboTax not allowing me to Efile amended 2020 return even when IRS clearly says I can efile amended 2019 2020 returns? 
i get an error message that the efiling was closed in October 2021. That is not correct as per IRS

i am being asked to print a 165 page document and sent to IRS!!

why did I pay for premier when basic functionality is not provided

also the only reason I have to Amend is because i realized that TurboTax completely messed up my k1 calcs 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The 2020 federal amended tax return,  Form 1040-X, cannot be e-filed using the personal editions of TurboTax it can be only be printed and mailed.

Some professional tax preparation software can e-file prior year amended returns.

The only forms that are filed with an amended return is the Form 1040-X and any federal forms and/or schedules that were actually changed by the amending along with any corrected W-2's or Form 1099's received. 

The original and amended Form 1040 are Not filed nor are any worksheets or pages that are for information only.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Sorry Turbo Tax only lets you efile the current year amended return.  

The 2020 federal amended tax return,  Form 1040-X, cannot be e-filed using the personal editions of TurboTax it can be only be printed and mailed.

Some professional tax preparation software can e-file prior year amended returns.

The only forms that are filed with an amended return is the Form 1040-X and any federal forms and/or schedules that were actually changed by the amending along with any corrected W-2's or Form 1099's received. 

The original and amended Form 1040 are Not filed nor are any worksheets or pages that are for information only.

So I need to file 1040x and k1 I guess. Main change  I did was released passive losses on PTp that I sold previous years 

gmunny

Thanks for the info as I need to file an amended return too. 

That sucks Turbo Tax.  As a long time user, why can't we file if the IRS allows other tax software to e-file?   I am disappointed enough to research if the other competitive software have that same limitation and would consider a switch. 

@gmunny Only a 2021 amended return  can be e-filed.   Certain paid tax preparers who have professional tax software can still e-file an amended return from an earlier tax year.   You are free to seek paid tax help if you want to e-file instead of filing by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies