Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xerveras

Clarification of Tax Credits for Children Under 18

I have submitted to TurboTax that my 2 children live with myself and my wife, with no income along with the desired info on the page. I am then brought to another page going into credits for each dependant. I am unsure if I can claim either the Caregiver or Family Caregiver as they both are simply under 18 and in good health. My wifes income was over 12000 so I believe I do not qualify for the spousal credit, so my question is will we get some sort of basic credit for the children or do we need to select something?

Thanks
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is no longer a specific credit for dependant children in normal health under 18 years.
You are correct in understanding that you can't claim caregiver amount or Family Caregiver amount for your dependants.

Canada Child Benefit has replaced previous benefit and credits for children.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

There is no longer a specific credit for dependant children in normal health under 18 years.
You are correct in understanding that you can't claim caregiver amount or Family Caregiver amount for your dependants.

Canada Child Benefit has replaced previous benefit and credits for children.
xerveras

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I wanted to ensure I was correct in my assumptions.