Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nanette12

Difference in Tax paid on line 43700

Why is there a different number on the forms version for tax deducted at source (line 43700) and in the detailed tax summary than there is in the form entry on my T4 slips?   I believe the answer may be due to pension splitting. 

I recently received a matching letter from the CRA  asking for my tax slips from 2021 and they made an adjustment.  Essentially Turbo Tax had moved some of the tax paid from my T4 slips to my husband's.  So CRA automatically adjusted our returns to match the T4 slips and gave my husband a credit including 6.9% interest paid and required that I pay them the same amount including 9.4% interest due.  Overall in this case it was not a large sum and arguing with the CRA is pointless, but it is frustrating that the tax program makes an adjustment that the CRA reverses.  For 2022 I have checked, and Turbo Tax has again adjusted the tax paid so the total between my husband and myself is correct, but the numbers do not match the individual T4s.  The amount of that adjustment in 2022 is 10 times larger than the error in 2021 and could be costly.  

I can follow the directions to refile my taxes, but I would like to bring to light this apparent error in the tax calculations within your software.  Customers will be at the mercy of CRA and their ruling, even if your software is doing the correct calculations. 

1 Reply

Difference in Tax paid on line 43700

Thank you for your feedback. Please contact our phone support team who can view your return and verify if there is a calculation error. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.