Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taxmama3

Do I claim as single parent if only separated since November of taxation year?

I want to know if I can claim my son as an eligible dependent and if I claim daycare expenses for my daughter and put UCCB on my son's income, but was only separated for one month of the taxation year. Am I still considered single parent for the full year and file taxes as such?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To be eligible for the eligible dependant credit you only need be a single parent for part of a year.  There is no proration of the credit . . . so yes, you are able to claim your child as en eligible dependant.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

To be eligible for the eligible dependant credit you only need be a single parent for part of a year.  There is no proration of the credit . . . so yes, you are able to claim your child as en eligible dependant.
taxmama3

Thanks for your reply. It is helpful. Also, do I still need to fill in all of his personal info on my taxes? I still get that profile page requesting his income info...

Yes, you do need to include your son's net income...it is used to calculate the eligible dependant credit.  If you are looking to include the UCCB in your son's income rather than yours (recommended) then you will include that as part of your son's net income.
taxmama3

Thank-you again for your reply, Jeffrey. Sorry to be a pain.... but do I need to still fill in all of my ex-spouse's information (like income info, etc.) if filing as separated single parent? Although I put separated on my profile, my ex-spouse info page still popped up for me to fill in. Is it necessary for me to get all of his net income info?

Because you were together for part of the year, the software needs some information to determine if you may be eligible for the spousal credit.  If, for the part of the year you were together, your ex' income was greater than the threshold that allows you to claim this credit, then the other consideration is if you think his income would be greater or less than your income...this would affect which of you claims the UCCB.  If you believe his income was greater than yours, then just enter an amount greater than your income.  If his income was less than yours, but great enough to negate the spousal credit, enter perhaps $20,000.  As to the SIN, if you know this, enter it...or enter 000 000 000. Beyond this, his income does not affect you...child tax benefits will be based solely on your own net income, not combined with his as in the past.  

Have you also informed CRA of the change in marital status?  You should do so, as your child tax benefits would have increased as of that date, again as from that date they would be based solely on your own 2014 net income, and not the combined net income.  If you haven't, here is a link to the form to use...

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc65/README.html
taxmama3

Oh! Wow, thank-you so much. I will look into all of that... You are more than helpful. Thank-you.