Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skibum11
Returning Member

Estimated taxes

I am scheduled to close on the sale of an investment property in late May.  Do I make the estimated tax payment at the time of the sale or wait until June 15th?  Also, do I make the full estimated tax payment or divide into 3 equal payments (June, September, January)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Estimated taxes

You should pay the full estimated amount by June 15. You can pay it earlier if you want to.

Estimated taxes

under the default method for computing underpayment penalties it is assumed 1/4 of your 2024 taxes were due each period.  You will be subject to penalties for the first quarter unless you use the Annualized installment Income Method on page 3 of the 2210

ways to avoid penalty and/or no need to use the AIIM 

if Federal withholding and

1. timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 90% of your 2024 tax or
  2. timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 100% of your 2023 tax (110% if your 2023 adjusted gross income was more than $150K) or
  3. the balance due after subtracting taxes withheld from 90% of your 2024 tax is less than $1,000 or
  4. your total taxes are less than $1,000

this means that withholdings and estimated tax payments for the 1st quarter - 1/1-3/31 for option 1 must be 22.5% of your 2024 tax or $25% (27.5% if agi >$150K) of your 2023 tax 

state laws differ

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies