Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joshmor774
Returning Member

Filing an amended 1040-x for 2023: questions on tax calculation and payment

Hello all,
I had filed our taxes before the April 15 deadline (April 6, 2024 to be precise; status: married filing jointly; our age ~42 years) we already received the tax refund for 2024, end of April)

Around April 18, 2024 I was notified by my IRA brokerage that there was an over-contribution to my ROTH IRA of $850 for the year 2023. With our 2023-AGI, we are not qualified to make any ROTH IRA contributions (this $850 was an accidental one-time contribution from a recurring deposit in early 2023, which I had forgotten about). Now, our brokerage has withdrawn this excess ROTH IRA contribution and the associated earnings ($ 225) and moved it to our individual account. (around Apr 26).

Brokerage said, they will not generate any 1099-R for this year, but it will be available January 2025.

Doing my research, it seems I need to file an amended 1040-X for 2023 and show this $225 earnings as an adder to our AGI. Since, we already withdrew the excess contribution in April 2024 (before the Oct 15, 2024 deadline), I believe, we don't owe any extra 6% penalty or early withdrawal tax. (our age ~ 42 years); Can someone please confirm? 

Question:

1. Do I even need to file 1040-X for 2023, or can I wait and file the regular 1040 for 2024 next year?

2. how do I calculate the federal taxes on this additional $225 earnings. The contribution-deposit was made more than 1 year ago, so I used the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax method and 15% of $225 = $34 as our extra tax we owe. Can someone please confirm?

3. what all printouts do I need to physical-mail to IRS for completing this amendment filing? Do I need to printout and send the original 1040 and ALL the Schedules, Forms etc? Or, only the 1040-X and any Schedules/Forms that needed edits (in this case: Form 8606, Form 5329 were the only 2 that needed edit due to the amendment)

4. Given that I owe IRS about $ 34, do I also send them a check for $34 along with my package? Or, can I pay this electronically, online, after IRS accepts my amendment? Is there any penalty or fees for not sending the check now? (Since I am not 100% sure if the taxes owed calculation is correct here, I wanted to not send the payment yet)

Thank you for your help !!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies