Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uyenk

Hello there, Which status should I select when I'm single but had children? Will the return calculated correctly while no children information optional for Single status.

Hello TurboTax, I had difficulty about filling my status and children sections when I filled my tax return by used Turbo Tax software. My return always corrected by CRA and they won't give me a hard time last couple years. Here's the issue; I'm single but had children. When I selected "Single on the status" there is no optional asked to fill out the children information, except the status, had selected "Married, Divorced, or else...". Because of that, the calculated incorrectly. Would you let me know what to do? and how do I fill my return for next year? Anyways, TurboTax software is very easy to use and finished in no time. Hope that problem solve for the next return. Thanks and have a good day.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello there, Which status should I select when I'm single but had children? Will the return calculated correctly while no children information optional for Single status.

Marital status is independent of naming dependents such as children.  Choose "Single" for marital status, and choose "Dependents" in your "Introduction" section for TurboTax Online or TurboTax Desktop. You will be able to enter the dependent information.  Additional expense and credit information can be keyed under the Deductions menu "Deductions > Additional Dependent Information" for Turbotax Online, or for TurboTax Desktop "Deductions & Credits > Dependent Profile".

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Marital status is independent of naming dependents such as children.  Choose "Single" for marital status, and choose "Dependents" in your "Introduction" section for TurboTax Online or TurboTax Desktop. You will be able to enter the dependent information.  Additional expense and credit information can be keyed under the Deductions menu "Deductions > Additional Dependent Information" for Turbotax Online, or for TurboTax Desktop "Deductions & Credits > Dependent Profile".

uyenk

Thanks.