Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simplify

How do we link a husband and wife tax return if it has already been started

I am helping someone with their return and after I started it and had it almost finished they decided to have me help with the husbands. Is there a way to link them once it has been started?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Once you start a return separately you cannot join it. You would have to start the return again and have them file together. At the start of the return when it asks How do you want to prepare your returns? you need to select to prepare your returns together.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hello,

Once you start a return separately you cannot join it. You would have to start the return again and have them file together. At the start of the return when it asks How do you want to prepare your returns? you need to select to prepare your returns together.

CM8

You will need to start the couple's tax returns from scratch if you wish to prepare combined returns. You need to select this option when beginning the returns.

Alternately, the couple can file separate tax returns for the current year and transfer data when requested in Turbo Tax on each other's tax returns.

simplify

Okay so what about importing from last year? Same deal, not able to link it?

@simplify No. You would have had to file together last year to be able to transfer the information into this year's return. If you file your return together this year, then next year you will be able to transfer the information into your 2015 tax return.