Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you claim spousal support (alimony) if you are now in a common-law relationship?

Turbo tax recommends that my common-law partner and I claim our taxes together. However, if I am marked as "common-law" instead of divorced, there is no option for me to enter spousal support.
1 Reply

How do you claim spousal support (alimony) if you are now in a common-law relationship?

If you are wanting to claim paid spousal support (alimony) you can do it even when you enter yourself as common-law. 

Please follow these steps:

1. Once in your return- Go to My Info in the left menu
  2. Personal Tax Profile
  3. Under "other credits or Deductions" (you will see this if you completed your profile section and you would click on Edit
  4. Then scroll down to the question- (Your Name), are there other deductions such as digital news subscriptions, public transit, union or professional dues, alimony or repayment of COVID-19 benefits that you want to claim?
  5. Click on YES
  6. Continue
  7.  Go back to the menu and click on "Deductions" section then continue until you will see the page "Alimony and Child Support Payments Made"

Did you make any alimony, spousal or child support payments during 2021? continue from here. 

If you are the one receiving the spousal support payment - please let us know so that we can assist you further.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.