Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does it work when filing under new marital status while spouse lives in a different country?

My husband and I recently got married near the end of last year, November 2022. I have since updated my marital status and last name legally, however, I realize it makes taxes a little more difficult this year. 

I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and my husband is an American citizen living in the US. I make no US income and he makes no Canadian income.

Can I claim any spousal benefits or no since he doesn't make any Canadian income? 

How do I go about filing my taxes with this information?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How does it work when filing under new marital status while spouse lives in a different country?

You will file your taxes as per you normally would. 

• In the beginning, it will ask about your marital status, and it will ask for the date of marital status change if applicable, you enter this information. 
  • Continue through, when it comes to your non-resident spouse with no financial ties to Canada, you simply enter 000 000 000 for SIN and ZERO income because it relates to nothing in Canada. On that same screen, be sure to select No to the “Are you claiming spousal amount?” question to ensure no credits are applied for your spouse.  

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You will file your taxes as per you normally would. 

• In the beginning, it will ask about your marital status, and it will ask for the date of marital status change if applicable, you enter this information. 
  • Continue through, when it comes to your non-resident spouse with no financial ties to Canada, you simply enter 000 000 000 for SIN and ZERO income because it relates to nothing in Canada. On that same screen, be sure to select No to the “Are you claiming spousal amount?” question to ensure no credits are applied for your spouse.  

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you so much! @tulip991 

You are very welcome. Thank you for choosing TurboTax.