Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrm2

How to fix T1135 error "You must ensure that you have entered information in either Part A or Part B, as applicable." when Part B is already filled in?

My wife has a property over $250,000 from which she receives rental income. I entered this income as Foreign in T-Slips and completed the T1135 where I included the property in Part B with its value and the income.

But at the review stage, there is an error, and clicking Fix just says I need to fill in Part A or Part B as applicable. On the form, I can see that the option to use Part B is ticked, and Part B is filled in for the relevant section, but I can't make the error go away.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
adamnjan

How to fix T1135 error "You must ensure that you have entered information in either Part A or Part B, as applicable." when Part B is already filled in?

I had the same problem. I called Intuit support and after a lot of back-and-forth they suggested to enter 1 instead of zero in the income and gain columns. They also refused to send me an email with this "advice" so I would have a record of it -- they just sent a link to the CRA explanation for T1135.

After about an hour they dropped the line on me and closed the case.

The problem is (almost certainly) a mistake in the program. It clears out all zero amounts, and then treats these two empty amounts as an error.

If you enter even 0.01 it will stop complaining.

Really incompetent programmers!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
adamnjan

I had the same problem. I called Intuit support and after a lot of back-and-forth they suggested to enter 1 instead of zero in the income and gain columns. They also refused to send me an email with this "advice" so I would have a record of it -- they just sent a link to the CRA explanation for T1135.

After about an hour they dropped the line on me and closed the case.

The problem is (almost certainly) a mistake in the program. It clears out all zero amounts, and then treats these two empty amounts as an error.

If you enter even 0.01 it will stop complaining.

Really incompetent programmers!

Encountered this same problem with the T1135 while completing the Review process of my 2019 Return (Turbo Tax cd/download).  There was both a “flag” in the Warning portion of the review and also an Error.  Presumably with that Error would not have been able to Netfile (didn’t even try).

My 2019 T1135 form properly identified having to complete Part B.  Table 2 & 7 of Part B had entries.  However, (thanks to this entry in the community forum) realized there was no non-zero entry in the “Gain (Loss) on disposition” column of either since there was no disposition of these investments in 2019.

Experimented with entering 0.01 in the “Gain (Loss) on disposition” column for one of these entries.  Sure enough both the Warning and Error no longer occurred during the Review.

Looking back, the explanation in the Warning panel is more specific than the Error panel.  The Warning panel  statement mentions “…At least one row must be fully completed in one of the 7 tables provided.”   I take this “…fully completed…” has been interpreted by TurboTax too literally and that they have not allowed for zeros in the logic (as others have noted in this thread…poor programming).  Zeros could be expected in “Gain (Loss) on disposition” column when there has been none.

I compared it to my 2018 return and there was a disposition in 2018 so that’s why no Warning or Error message for it (i.e. all columns had non-zero values in at least one line).  Experimented with turning the gain/loss column to zero and conducting a review and got the same Warning & Error messages.  So this “bug” has been around for a few years.

Have not called Intuit support yet…..hope they are reviewing and acting on these forum entries considering the effort by participants/members.

Will proceed with the $0.01 entry and hope it doesn’t trigger backlash from CRA knowing how significant the issues can be with the T1135 (i.e. compliance).

I would also incompetent QA staff!

This bug is still present in the 2020 version.  That is ridiculous.  I can't see how it would be a difficult bug to fix.  Also ridiculous that it is so difficult to report the error.

Thanks for posting a resolution on this, entering .01, as I never would have figured out what the problem was. After spending a couple hours just trying to figure out how to even get Turbo Tax to know a T1135 form is needed (thanks to a poor definition that Foreign Property in the profile should include US Stocks) was getting pretty angry with Turbo Tax.

Hello

I am unable to post a question for the community - hence I am replying to a question already posed -- sorry

Hello

If one holds foreign property above certain limits it must be indicated on line 26600 (Foreign Property) of tax form and T1135 form must be filled. Failure to do so will result in penalties.

Turbotax can not be used to netfile T1135 if more than 4 lines are required and Intuit suggests downloading T1135 form and mail it.

I followed their advice. However, I was unable to file CRA return as I kept on getting messages that I do not qualify for netfile. After trying everything I contacted tech support. Final advice was to uncheck line 26600 ( that is a lie) and try. It worked. I later realized that my various attempt changed deduction at line 41200 ( investment tax credit).

I lied to CRA !!!!

I guess I will have to contact CRA to correct these errors.

Any suggestions?

It is unforgivable that TurboTax continues to ignore this problem.

I got around the 3-line limit by entering the top 2 countries and then lumping all the other countries together under the country code OTH, which stands for other. CRA allows use of OTH if there is uncertainty regarding the country code, although my use of it is to get around this stupid TurboTax problem. But my total reported amount is correct, i.e. I am not lying to CRA. So hopefully they understand.

The other problem with TurboTax on this T1135 is that in the EasyStep, it only asked for a Yes or No regarding if the amount is under $250000. If you have over $250,000 and you click No, it doesn't like it if you then use the Method B (detail) and that's when it gives you a Netfile error. The only way to fix it is to click Yes, but still use Method B. Not entirely correct, but at least you can Netfile and hope CRA doesn't come after you for checking off the wrong box.

Let's hope Turbotax fix this problem in the next tax year, or I am looking for another tax software.

Thanks for sharing-- I thought I am the only one with this problem

I checked around about combining into one line but was informed that it is NOT acceptable and penalties are large. 

I get the country code in a report from my broker - hence, i can  not say that i do not know.

If someone finds an appropriate solution, please share.

Thanks

After I Netfile, I followed up by downloading the fillable pdf T1135 from CRA website and filed an amendment providing the country detail breakdown.