Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
F-K

I accidentally used my SIN on wife's detail and vice versa

My wife's and my SIN were changed from temporary to permanent but I accidentally used my SIN on wife's detail and vice versa. Now I cannot fix it because when I open my detail, I cannot delete SIN or use random SIN or my right SIN because it is blocked be my wife's detail. How to solve this without creating a new profile or using different software.
1 Reply

I accidentally used my SIN on wife's detail and vice versa

If you have not filed your tax return yet, you are still able to make changes to your personal information. 

Since you used your SIN number as your spouse's and vice versa, where you are not able to change one or the other because you already enter the same for the other person.

We recommend changing your SIN number to "000 000 000" and then proceed to put in the actual SIN number for your spouse. Once you input your wife's, you can proceed to change yours with your actual SIN. 

In order to access your personal information on your Online TurboTax return, follow the steps below:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax Online, once on your current tax return, click Find located on the top right corner.
  2. Type Personal Information - Personal Information name and Birth date will appear, press and click Go.
  3. Page - Let's get your personal information will appear. From here you are able to change your SIN or anything regarding your personal information.
  4. Follow same steps for your spouse, and change her SIN.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.