Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am separated and sole supporter of my 18 year old who is in last year of high school could i use her as spousal credit

1 Reply

I am separated and sole supporter of my 18 year old who is in last year of high school could i use her as spousal credit

If you are separated from your spouse, you can no longer claim spousal tax credits.

However, you may be able to claim an Amount for An Eligible Dependant, formerly referred to as the Equivalent-to-Spouse Amount. Amount for an eligible dependant credit is a Non-Refundable Tax Credit designed for single adults who are not claiming the spouse/common-law partner credit and who are responsible for the financial care of a relative.

Single parents and separated parents who are not supported by or living with the other parent of their children may claim this credit in certain cases. In some cases, you may be able to claim this credit for a dependent who is not a minor.

For more information please see our TurboTax article: Claiming the Amount for an Eligible Dependant Credit.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.