Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

awalsh76

I believe my mother filed my taxes and took the money what do I do

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

first, ask your mom.  if she did and won't give you the refund this issue becomes complex. how old are you? do you live with your mom?  who provides your support?  do you have a joint account with her?

if you had a joint a/c under your state's laws the money could be just as much hers as yours.  wether the IRS will help in this circumstance is unknown. 

it could be a question of state law as to whether she could file a return for you without your permission.  as an adult she would probably need it. that could leave you with the option of filing your return by mail and including an identity theft affidavit form 14039.   this could cause severe legal problems for her if she's the one who filed your return. if you're a minor see a lawyer.   

awalsh76

I am 19 years old. My mother told me she filed my taxes and got no money refunded but it says i should hace gotton some. I asked her not to file them and let me do them but because im in college my permanante adress is back home.

im 34 i have my own home. my mother did my taxes this year and she kept it and wont give it to me.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I would advise you to do your taxes next year.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

im 16 year old and my mom has a husband not my dad who is putting me in his taxes and he does not provide anything for me but a roof witch I am not complaining but we are not in good terms and his been putting me in his taxes for 5 years now me and my brother and we never received anything from it no clothes nothing what can I do my mom always telling me that he does not get anything from us that I he has to pay taxes because of us is this true? My email is [email address removed] please help me 

@Chrispina24 From a tax return standpoint only -

If your mother and her husband are filing a joint tax return then you can be claimed as a dependent on their tax return under the Qualifying Child rules if you meet all the requirements to be claimed as their child.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

@Chrispina24 You are 16.   Your mother and step-father can claim you as a dependent on their joint tax return.  If they receive a refund from the IRS or if they owe the IRS, it is their  financial situation--not yours.   Their tax refund is not yours.   ( "now me and my brother and we never received anything from it ")   You are being supported by your mom and step dad.   You do not have any entitlement to their tax refund    ( nor would you want to be obligated to pay their tax due if they owed  ).   There is nothing to "help" you with about this.     The adults in your household are receiving income for which they file a tax return.   There are some child-related credits your parents may be receiving because they can claim you as a dependent.  Those credits are theirs--not yours.   The money they get for claiming your (and your brother) is their money to use as they see fit.     Sorry if you are not on good terms with your parent(s) but that does not mean they owe you anything from their income tax refund.

If you get an after school job, or a summer job, and earn money yourself, then you can file a tax return yourself to seek a tax refund of money the employer withholds for federal and/or state tax.   If you file a tax return----let's say you work and receive a W-2 from an employer--- then you will say on that tax return that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.   When you work for an employer, the employer withholds some of your pay for federal and state tax, and some for Social Security and Medicare.   When you file a tax return, you may get some of that money back at tax time.    Your parents can claim you as a dependent until the year you turn 19 or until you turn 24 if you are a full-time college student.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies