Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nelkevinjunior
Returning Member

I by mistake submit my tax return as a self employed when I am not. I see that after submitting everything. Will that put me on trouble with the CRA? I’m in Canada

I’m doing Network Marketing business, so I’m a business owner. At the same time I’m studying and working.

I usually fill my taxes normal and claim some expenses for my business. But I usually fill it as a normal person. This year I mistakenly fill and already submit my taxes as self employed. I see that 2 days after submitting both of my taxes ( Canada and Quebec). What can I do?
1 Reply

I by mistake submit my tax return as a self employed when I am not. I see that after submitting everything. Will that put me on trouble with the CRA? I’m in Canada

The Canada Revenue Agency will only accept one return per tax year. Once you’ve filed your return (mistakes and all), you can’t file a new one. But you can correct the original by way of an adjustment. 

You must wait until you have received your Notice of Assessment before submitting any adjustment requests. 

You can use ReFILE as well. ReFILE is an online service that lets individuals and EFILE service providers send online adjustments for income tax and benefit returns with certified NETFILE software and EFILE software. Individuals (NETFILE users) can use ReFILE to send adjustments for 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018 returns. EFILE service providers can send adjustments for 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 returns. If you have questions about the functionality available in your software package, please contact your software provider.

For more information, please review the links below from TurboTax Canada and Canada Revenue Agency. 

How to Change Your Tax Return AFTER You’ve Filed

ReFILE: Online adjustments for income tax and benefit returns

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.