Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeerCan

I lived/worked in Ontario until September 2018 then moved permanently to the USA and married a US citizen. I made no income in the USA. How do I file my Canadian Return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I lived/worked in Ontario until September 2018 then moved permanently to the USA and married a US citizen. I made no income in the USA. How do I file my Canadian Return?

You would complete your return and enter the date of exit. 

• Right at the beginning of your tax return, it asks you - "Did your Canadian residency change in 2018?" - YES, it opens a window and asks  "If you ended your Canadian residency in 2018, when did you leave?" and the date is to be applied there.  Otherwise, you would do exactly what you have done any other taxation year.

Report your status as Married and the date the change to your marital status took place.

Enter spouse'  SIN # as 000-000-000, non-resident not living in Canada with you.

In the section that says - "Tell us more about "your spouse's name""

Enter spouse's income as ZERO & Check NO to say you will not be claiming Spousal Credit for her.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You would complete your return and enter the date of exit. 

• Right at the beginning of your tax return, it asks you - "Did your Canadian residency change in 2018?" - YES, it opens a window and asks  "If you ended your Canadian residency in 2018, when did you leave?" and the date is to be applied there.  Otherwise, you would do exactly what you have done any other taxation year.

Report your status as Married and the date the change to your marital status took place.

Enter spouse'  SIN # as 000-000-000, non-resident not living in Canada with you.

In the section that says - "Tell us more about "your spouse's name""

Enter spouse's income as ZERO & Check NO to say you will not be claiming Spousal Credit for her.

BeerCan

I also got married in the US. My new spouse is an American citizen.  She never lives/worked in Canada. She works in the US and made income there.  Do I claim her income on my Canadian return? Would I have to convert it to Canadian dollars?  Do I claim her income for the whole year, or just the portion of the year that we were married?

@BeerCan -please go see revised answer.  Thank you!