Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I selected common-law incorrectly without checking criteria and now it won't let me change it back to single. How do I go about this?

1 Reply
Mit7
Level 2

I selected common-law incorrectly without checking criteria and now it won't let me change it back to single. How do I go about this?

If you have not filed your return or certified your information yet, you can change your marital status once inside your return by clicking on Marital status in the left side menu. Once here you will be able to change from Living common-law to Single. Click No to Did your marital status change in 2022? Now, click on Continue to save your changes.

You can make changes to a filed tax return by filing an adjustment.  Do not file another return for that year. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that you wait until you have received your Notice of Assessment (NOA) before asking for changes to your return. Generally, you can only request a change to a return for a tax year ending in any of the 10 previous calendar years.

Once you’ve reviewed your NOA, to change your marital status, use CRA My Account.

Sign in to your CRA My Account and click where it says “Change my return”. After selecting the tax year and line that needs to be changed, you can input the correct information to submit your changes.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax