Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In my Provincial Non-refundable Tax credits, I cannot see in "Personal amounts" 18 511 corresponding to the fact that I support my wife and a dependant (Daughter Age 3)

18511 is the amount reported on my paycheck. For instance, for the federal part, the amount reported on my paycheck is 22948 and this amount appears correctly in the "Personal amounts" of my "Federal Non-Refundable Tax Credits".  I will appreciate a lot to be helped on this. Many thks in advance
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In my Provincial Non-refundable Tax credits, I cannot see in "Personal amounts" 18 511 corresponding to the fact that I support my wife and a dependant (Daughter Age 3)

TurboTax provides only the actual provincial credit amount not the claim amount.  $22,948 is the Federal claim amount that you receive a credit @ 15% of 3442.20 for that claim.  For the Provincial portion of your return TurboTax does the calculation and provides the actual claim amount calculated.  The claim amount $18,511 is being used to calculate the credit but will not appear in the summary, just the result of the claim will appear on the Provincial Tax Summary as part of the credit amount, two lines from the top.  Provincial/Provincial Tax Summary.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

TurboTax provides only the actual provincial credit amount not the claim amount.  $22,948 is the Federal claim amount that you receive a credit @ 15% of 3442.20 for that claim.  For the Provincial portion of your return TurboTax does the calculation and provides the actual claim amount calculated.  The claim amount $18,511 is being used to calculate the credit but will not appear in the summary, just the result of the claim will appear on the Provincial Tax Summary as part of the credit amount, two lines from the top.  Provincial/Provincial Tax Summary.

Thank you for your answer. This is helpful to understand how this works in Canada. I would have a last question to complete this point. Following your answer, I checked my provincial Ontario non-refundable tax credits and the amount is 1,111.52 for a provincial claim amount of $18,511 which is about 6% of the initial amount. Is this 6% percentage the rule for Ontario when you support your wife + 1 child ? Many thks in advance for your answer

The 6% is the rule for all non-refundable tax credits in Ontario not just the credit for spouse.