Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 17 yo daughter (in high school) had a part-time job in 2015 and made $5,100. She will be filing income tax this year (her first). Can I still claim her as a dependent?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 17 yo daughter (in high school) had a part-time job in 2015 and made $5,100. She will be filing income tax this year (her first). Can I still claim her as a dependent?

Yes you can claim your daughter as a dependant.  If you are a single parent, then your eligible dependant claim will be reduced by the $5100 that she earned, however you are able to indicate the UCCB as income for your daughter as well, potentially saving you taxes at a higher tax bracket.

If you have more than one child, you may wish to indicate that the child with the lowest income is your eligible dependant, as the amount of the UCCB does need to be included as the income of your eligible dependant should you choose to not include that income on your own taxes.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/117-eng.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes you can claim your daughter as a dependant.  If you are a single parent, then your eligible dependant claim will be reduced by the $5100 that she earned, however you are able to indicate the UCCB as income for your daughter as well, potentially saving you taxes at a higher tax bracket.

If you have more than one child, you may wish to indicate that the child with the lowest income is your eligible dependant, as the amount of the UCCB does need to be included as the income of your eligible dependant should you choose to not include that income on your own taxes.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/117-eng.html