Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My daughter attends university, has income and has filed her own taxes. I have listed her as a dependent so that I can claim her education amounts. When I input her information in the dependents section of my return do I need to report her income there as

This refers to a Canadian university.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter attends university, has income and has filed her own taxes. I have listed her as a dependent so that I can claim her education amounts. When I input her information in the dependents section of my return do I need to report her income there as

Yes you do need to report your daughter's income.  As your daughter is required to use any tuition credits if needed to reduce her own tax liability, by you entering her income the software can calculate how much, if any, of her tuition she is required to use and how much can be transferred to yourself.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/323/crry-frwrd-eng.htm...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes you do need to report your daughter's income.  As your daughter is required to use any tuition credits if needed to reduce her own tax liability, by you entering her income the software can calculate how much, if any, of her tuition she is required to use and how much can be transferred to yourself.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/323/crry-frwrd-eng.htm...