Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rose12345

My federal tax return summary shows a line for penalty/interest in the amount of $188.00 which I don't understand why I am being billed for and already filed?

Does any one know why this balance due with penalty interest is included.  I already scheduled payment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

My federal tax return summary shows a line for penalty/interest in the amount of $188.00 which I don't understand why I am being billed for and already filed?

When you view your 2022 Federal 1040 tax return, do you see the $188 on line 38?

If so, the $188 is an underpayment penalty.

You are assessed an underpayment penalty for 2022 if you owe $1,000 or more in taxes (after withholding) and:

• Your taxes withheld do not cover at least 90% of what you owe for 2022, or
  • Your taxes withheld are not at least 100% of what you owed for your 2021 taxes, if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is up to $150,000, or
  • Your withholding is 110% if your AGI is more than $150,000. (The AGI amount is $75,000 if you're married filing separately.)

IRS form 2210 Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates and Trusts may be found here:

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll down to Additional Tax Payments.  Click Show more.
  • Click Start to the right of Underpayment Penalties.

@rose12345 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Normally, if the penalty is shown on the form 1040, then it's already added into what you owed to the IRS and "should" already be part of your scheduled payment. 

IF it turns out that it was not included, the IRS will send you a bill later for it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies