Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scotiaowl

I live with my spouse and we have a fully disabled mentally handicapped child under age 18. which credits to claim?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live with my spouse and we have a fully disabled mentally handicapped child under age 18. which credits to claim?

You qualify to claim Family caregiver amount on line 367 and Disability amount for dependent on line 318. You also are allowed to claim attendant care expenses for the child if you had any.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You qualify to claim Family caregiver amount on line 367 and Disability amount for dependent on line 318. You also are allowed to claim attendant care expenses for the child if you had any.  

scotiaowl

Is a 2016 tax return for the dependant <18y old required. Child has been dependant for life but never filed. What are typical child care and disability supports deduction items?

No, return is not required till child reaches 18