Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtleusink

Hi there, Turbo Tax says we need a new W-2 from my husband's BNSF railroad job but BNSF said they double checked their calculations and everything's correct. Can I file?

From TURBO TAX: It looks like you're due a refund from your employer
Your employer withheld too much Railroad Retirement Tier 1 tax from your wages in 2020.
Here's what to do next:
Contact your employer to get a refund for the amount you overpaid for your Railroad Retirement Tier 1 tax.
Let your employer know you need a corrected W-2.
Once you get your corrected W-2, update your income information in TurboTax.
Here's a breakdown of what you're owed:
Railroad Retirement Tier 1 tax withheld $1,137.44
Amount we calculated $0.00
Excess amount withheld by your employer $1,137.44

** BNSF said they will not refund us or give us a corrected W2 because everything is correct. My husband has $0.00 taken out for social security. I just want to make sure I can file with this information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Hi there, Turbo Tax says we need a new W-2 from my husband's BNSF railroad job but BNSF said they double checked their calculations and everything's correct. Can I file?

You need to review your W-2 input before filing.  Enter your Railroad Retirement Tier 1 amounts in box 14 of the W-2. Do not enter it box 4 for Social Security withholdings. In box 14, enter the description, amount, and select the category drop down then scroll to Railroad Retirement Tier 1. Additionally, you will need to enter in box 14 the Railroad Retirement compensation amount from box 1 of the W2 so the overpayment is not reported. Select "Railroad Retirement Compensation" from the box 14 category.

Click here for more information on entering Railroad Retirement information in TurboTax

David232

I am in the Payroll Department at a Railroad, and we get SEVERAL requests based upon this TurboTax bug. I even got the error message when I entered my own W2. I found I get the message after my initial entry of my W2. If I get out of the W2 entry, then go back to it, I will no longer get the error message. 

TurboTax support team - it would nice if you would fix this bug. It would reduce the number of calls the Railroad payroll departments get asking for unwarranted W2Cs...This started last year, and continued into 2021 tax year.

I work for BNSF as well.  Make sure you enter your retirement info from Box 14 and categorize it properly when prompted.  I have not entered anything in the Social Security box for 20 years and I've used Turbo Tax every year and I have always gotten a proper refund.  Thanks. -Brian

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies