Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter Grantor Letter tax information into Turbotax?

A previous answer to a similar question recommended to enter the data as if they were provided on one of the 1099 forms.  I can do that fairly easily for the Interest Income by going through the appropriate section of the Turbotax.

But how do I enter the following:
1. "Other Income: Ordinary Income (Loss)",
2. "Passive Income (Loss) from Partnerships", and
3. "Long Term Capital Gain", consisting of
   a. "Securities Sales and Other Nonpassive Transactions", and
   b. "Gain (Loss) from Partnership, S Corps. & Trusts"?

I tried to enter the ordinary income and passive loss from partnerships on a 1099-MISC, but Turbotax complained that there are no data on some other forms.

I attempted to enter the capital gain (both items) as miscellaneous securities sales (stock sale) without receipt of 1099-B, but had to provide a date of sale (12/31/2018?) and cost basis (with zero, everything is taxed). I am not sure if any of this is appropriate.

All the numbers listed in the grantor letter are rather small.  The grantor letter from the Metropolitan Creditors Trust was sent to my husband after his mother passed away last year. I am using Turbotax Premium from a CD.  Our tax return is otherwise fairly simple and I usually supply all the data and information by going through the Turbotax interview based on the forms we receive.

A scanned copy of the Grantor Letter is attached.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Marie

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

"How do I enter Grantor Letter tax information into Turbotax?"

For that particular GIS, you can try entering the information as if you had received a K-1.

CaroleB

Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same question. The same letter from the same company. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Enter the information from the grantor trust as a Form 1041 Schedule K-1.  Refer to a copy of Form 1041 Schedule K-1 at this link for a "visual" of the boxes that "match" your grantor letter.

You may have to enter two separate K-1s for the same grantor letter to report the passive loss from the partnership, depending on what type of activity generated that passive loss (e.g., rental real estate).

@CaroleB

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rongofish

Can I add this form to my Turbotax Deluxe program?

To enter a grantor letter, you need to use the Premier version of the software.  To do it, you will enter the information as though you received a K-1.

Box 1 on the K-1 (1041) is for interest income which will flow to Schedule B, as will Box 2a for dividends.

Boxes 3 and 4a on the K-1 (1041) are for short-term and long-term capital gain, respectively, which will ultimately wind up on Schedule D.

Here is how to enter a K-1:

ou need to use the Premier version of TurboTax to enter a Schedule K-1 in TurboTax.

Please make sure you use the right K-1 entry form. There are actually three types of K-1s, depending on the type of entity creating the K-1: partnership, S-corporation and trust/estate.  Lines and codes on the forms differ from each other.

To enter information from a Schedule K-1, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income > I'll choose what I work on.
  2. In TurboTax CD/Download:  Go to Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income, click on the Start/Update box next to Schedule K-1.   In TurboTax Online:  In the S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts section click the Start/Update box next to Schedule K-1. 
  3. Click Yes on the next screen, Schedules K-1 or Q.  
  4. On the Tell Us About Your Schedules K-1 screen.  Click the Start/Update box next to the type of entity that issued the K-1 (S-Corps, Partnerships, Trust/Estate).
  5. If you have already entered K-1 information, you will see a Summary screen.  Click Add Another K-1 to enter your information  (or click on Edit to continue with the existing form entry).   
  6. If you haven't started entering K-1 information, continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

Thanks, this is very helpful.   My grantor letter includes two other entries:

1. Section 199A Qualified Business Income  - with instruction to enter on form 8995
  2. Section 199A UBIA - with instruction to enter on Sch E, Form 1040, Part II

Can that be entered through the K-1 or should I manually enter it on the forms?

Thanks!

good question about the 199a qualified income and the 199 A ubia.  apparently there is no answer.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, this information will go into Box 14 of your K1. When you followed the instructions given to you by ReneeM7122, as you scroll through the entries and enter your information, you will reach a screen that says Check Boxes that have an amount. Be sure Box 14 is selected, in addition to any other Box that has information about the K1.

1. Eventually you should arrive at a screen that says enter Box 14 information. Here you will select I-Section 199 information. Leave the amount blank.
  2. Press continue at the bottom.
  3. You will pass trough two screens but eventually arrive at a screen that says We see you have Section 199A income. Here is where you start entering information that is on your grantor letter. The information you enter will automatically generate a 8995 and allow you to claim a Qualified Business Deduction on your return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies