Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prepare and file tax for my spouse?

2 Replies

In online versions of TurboTax, you can prepare your spouse's or common-law partner's tax return at the same time as yours. This is called a spousal/coupled return. In most cases, it is a good idea to prepare your returns together as it may lead you to some additional benefits, a coupled return is recommended in this case. A coupled return lets you enter information about you and your spouse and prepare both of your returns at the same time, and while entering the information, it decides who benefits from which credits, improving your returns to minimize your taxes owed and maximize refunds and tax credits where possible.

Please see our TurboTax FAQ for more information on how to file coupled return in TurboTax online, 

How do I prepare a spousal or coupled return in TurboTax Online?

Also, please see our TurboTax article, Facts Every Canadian Need to Know About Filing Coupled Tax Returns

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

To prepare and file taxes for your spouse in TurboTax, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and select the "Start a new return" option.

2. On the next screen, when "Who are you preparing this return for?" appears, please select the appropriate answer (i.e., someone else).
  3. Then select "Yes", to answer "Are you preparing a married/common-law return?" question.
  4. Enter your spouse's personal information, including their name, date of birth, and social insurance number (SIN).

5. Enter your spouse's income information, including any T4 slips or other tax documents they have received. Make sure to include all sources of income, such as employment income, self-employment income, investment income, and any other income.

6. Deduct any eligible deductions and credits that your spouse may be entitled to, such as RRSP contributions, medical expenses, charitable donations, and tuition fees.

7. Review and submit the tax return for your spouse.

In online versions of TurboTax, you can prepare your spouse or common law partner's tax return at the same time as yours. This is called a spousal/coupled return. If you’ve already started your return but haven’t indicated that you want to prepare together, you'll need to start a new return and indicate that you want to prepare your spouse or common-law partner’s return together with yours. Follow the instructions provided to begin this process:

Note: Once you fill out your personal information, you won’t be able to go back and change your selections at Who are you preparing this return for? and Do you want to prepare your returns together?

Preparing a spousal/coupled return

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Select Start a new return
  3. Select the TurboTax Online product you wish to use, and indicate how you did your taxes last year
  4. On the Welcome step, select My spouse/partner and me under the question Who are you preparing this return for?
  5. Follow the prompts to enter your personal information. On the What's your marital status? step, select Married or Living Common-law
  6. At Do you want to prepare your returns together?, select Yes
  7. Select Continue and proceed with completing your returns

Note‘Coupled’ return means you enter the information for you and your spouse together but you file separately once you have completed your tax return. By using this method, the software maximizes the benefits for the couple as a whole while still generating two separate returns. If your spouse claims credits, such as the CCB, or GST/HST, or if they owe any payments, you must report that as well.

For more information, please visit: Facts Every Canadian Needs to Know About Filing Coupled Tax Returns

How do I prepare a spousal or coupled return in TurboTax Online?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.