turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long after receiving my state refund will my federal refund take?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
EbonyL

The IRS expects to issue most refunds in less than 21 days, though IRS will hold refunds for EITC and ACTC-related tax returns filed early in 2017 until Feb. 15 and then begin issuing them.

To track your Federal refund, visit the Where’s My Federal Refund? site here: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

You can begin checking at least 24 hours after e-filing or 4 weeks after mailing. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

Demon14335
Returning Member

I received my state and not my federal, can you explain why this is

Demon14335
Returning Member

So you reply to me with a thumbs up. This is not acceptable with this being your job

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

State and Federal Refunds have no relation to each other, they are handled by completely different entities.

Here is help for tracking your Federal Refund:

Where's my Refund

While most refunds are issued within 21 days of the return being accepted, not the date it was filed, sometimes there can be delays. 

Please see the following information about contacting the IRS if it has been more than 21 days since your return was accepted:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302084

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am still waiting for my federal returns. This is what I’m getting: Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available. What else can I do...it’s been over 21 days I believe.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS and your state operate independently of each other and therefore, the time frame in which each return is accepted and processed can vary.  It is not unusual that one arrived before the other.  Your state may have started processing returns sooner than the IRS.  The IRS generally releases most refunds within 21 calendar days after the e-file has been accepted. To get the most up-to-date status of your federal return, please visit the IRS Where's My Refund? site. You can check the status of your return every 24 hours as they do update the site daily - usually in the overnight hours. 

@cclaudio1959

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How long does it take for you to recieve your federal taxes

The IRS generally releases most refunds within 21 calendar days after the e-file has been accepted however it can take months. 

To get the most up-to-date status of your federal return, please visit the IRS Where's My Refund? site. You can check the status of your return every 24 hours as they do update the site daily - usually in the overnight hours. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies