Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jthsar

My daughter mistakenly did not check she could be claimed on our taxes, she filled out a form to fix that, but I still cannot claim her

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter mistakenly did not check she could be claimed on our taxes, she filled out a form to fix that, but I still cannot claim her

I assume she prepared, printed and mailed an amended return form 1040X to indicate she could be claimed by someone else. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return. You will have to print and mail your return to get it accepted with her claimed as your dependent.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I assume she prepared, printed and mailed an amended return form 1040X to indicate she could be claimed by someone else. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return. You will have to print and mail your return to get it accepted with her claimed as your dependent.

I have the same problem this year, but  with COVID-19, and the IRS not taking paper returns, we don't know what to do.  Suggestions?  My daughter has already sent in her amended return and has gotten a letter from our state letting her know that they received her amended return.

@ScarletOHara5 Sorry---but you have a common problem that is now compounded by the covid-19 virus and the IRS backlog.  There is no way at all that you can e-file a return that claims your child if the child's return was already accepted by the IRS and the child messed up by saying he/she cannot be claimed.  You are left with the very unattractive prospect of mailing your return and waiting for it to eventually be processed.

Kids do this a lot, and it causes aggravation for parents who cannot e-file, but this year it is much worse.  Sorry there is not a better or easier solution for you.

MY DEPENDENT SAID SHE COULD NOT BE CLAIMED

Your dependent filed a return without saying she could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and she has received her refund, she has to file an amended return that says she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns (form 1040X) have to be printed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed; it takes the IRS a couple of months to process them.  Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file. You do not have to wait for your dependent’s amended return to be processed.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.

For your dependent:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies