Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcac2020

I'm trying to file this return for my deceased father-in-law, however, turbo tax is not allowing me to choose this, it thinks he is still alive

1 Reply

I'm trying to file this return for my deceased father-in-law, however, turbo tax is not allowing me to choose this, it thinks he is still alive

We are very sorry for your loss and understand that preparing a final tax return for a family member who has passed away can be difficult. We will do our best to guide you through the process.

When you start the deceased return you must do it on its own and at the beginning of the return, it will ask if you are preparing a return for a deceased person. Once you say "Yes" everything that is asked on the return will be for you to complete as if you were the deceased person. 

Any individual tax returns which the deceased has not filed for the years prior to the year of death are essentially late and due immediately. The answer to your question is YES, the deceased person will be considered alive for the prior tax returns as you will have to mention the date of death at the beginning while filing the Tax Returns for the deceased individual. They must be filed within six months after the date of death. CRA provides the required T1 forms for all previous years.

Please follow the instructions as per below mentioned:

• Let's get started. Who are you preparing this return for? 

• Are you preparing this return for someone who has passed away?
  • What date did they pass away? (Please mention the respective date)

Once the personal information has been answered you will be asked a question on:

CRA’s NETFILE service accepts prior year returns, starting with the 2017 tax year. Do you need to file your 2018 or 2019 tax return?

When filing prior year returns, please answer Yes to this question in your return for each year being filed.

To accurately assess your current year's tax return, the CRA asks that you File your prior year's return(s) (earliest to latest) before filing your return for the current tax year.

Canada Revenue Agency's NETFILE service accepts prior-year tax returns, starting with the 2017 tax year. You can submit your 2017, 2018, 2019, and/or 2020 tax returns to CRA's NETFILE service using TurboTax. Tax returns for years prior to 2016 must be printed and mailed to CRA.

You can find TurboTax for prior years on TurboTax.ca. The online edition of TurboTax is available for the tax years 2018, 2019, and 2020. To file returns for tax years earlier than 2018, you need to use the CD/download edition of TurboTax

We can help! Find TurboTax for prior tax years at turbotax.ca/prioryears.

*Note: The CRA (Canada Revenue Agency), requires all final returns to be physically processed. You will need to print out and mail their return directly, and cannot use any electronic filing options. For Mailing address please check: Where to mail your paper T1 return

For further information, please check: How to Prepare Returns for Deceased Persons