Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Printing State return after

I filed today, but wasn't able to print my state tax return. Now, there is no clear route to printing to sign and mail. Now, I've been on hold for my entire Friday evening. Currently on hold with customer service for a quick question for over 2 hours 51 minutes. It is Friday, February 12, 2021, 7:45. I've been waiting to speak to someone since 3:55 today. Where is assistance when you need it??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Still waiting. 3 hours, 7 minutes so far................................................................................................................................................3 hours 9 minutes.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................3 hours 10 minutes..................

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you need to access a return for this year and print it, please click here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This didn't help at all.  It just tries to force you to efile your state return for $49, not print it.  It's crap.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

In TurboTax Online Deluxe and higher versions, the 49.00 fee is not the e-file fee, it is for the tax preparation software to complete your state return which includes the option to e-file the state return at no additional cost. 

@cally-6

So I can buy Turbotax deluxe on CD for $80 (or less) and get a free state tax preparation and mail it in.

Turbotax Deluxe online charged me $62 (with sales tax) and $49 for state.  That's a crock.

I paid $31 extra for an online version.  

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support. If you have billing questions or inquire about a refund, you will want to use the keywords billing issues when you call so you get to the right person.

@cally-6

won'allow me to print state return after e-filing federal return

so how do I print it?

You cannot print the state return that you prepared using online TT unless you have also paid for using the software to prepare the state return.   If you paid the fee to prepare it, you can print it.

There are different rules for using online and for the CD/download.   With the CD/download you get the software included to prepare a state return and you can avoid a state e-file fee by printing and mailing the state return.

With online TurboTax, there are separate fees for federal and state return preparation.  Those fees include e-filing, and are the same whether you e-file or mail the return in an envelope.  It is not "free" to print and mail the state return using online TT.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
PeggyCad

I have Turbo Tax Premier and just e-filed my Federal taxes.  I ALWAYS print my state because MY state charges for e-file and I ususally owe money,  This year that option is NOT available- only to efile or to print a copy for my records!!! how do I print a copy to file

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

When you print a copy of your return, we include everything that was sent to the government, plus extra documentation and calculation worksheets.

However, the printout won't include copies of the entry forms you got in the mail, such as W-2s or 1099s. If you need copies of those, contact whoever issued them originally.

To print your return

TurboTax Online

To get a copy of your 2023 tax return that you filed this year, sign in to the account you used to file this year's taxes, and either:

• Select Preview or print returns if your return has been accepted, or
  • Select Your tax returns & documents to expand it if needed and select Download/print return (PDF).

TurboTax Desktop

To print a copy of your return, complete the following steps:

1. Open the return you want to print.
  2. From the File menu (or TurboTax menu if you're on a Mac), choose Print.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the form set you want to print (tax return, specific forms, etc.) and then select Preview Print Copy (on Mac, select your print options and then select Continue).
  4. Select the printer icon from the menu to open the print window, and then after making any adjustments in the window, select Print.‌

You can also print directly from a saved PDF of your return by double-clicking the PDF to open it and then following the instructions in step 4.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies