Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The irs send my papers back cause i forgot to sign it and I send them back when will I get my money

I got a letter from irs cause I forgot to sign it I sign it and send it back to them when will I get my tax money back it's been 6 weeks now
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
SherryM

The irs send my papers back cause i forgot to sign it and I send them back when will I get my money

According to the IRS itself, the "Where's My Refund" tool (link below) should show the processing / refund status of your tax return within 24 hours after the government receives your electronically filed tax return, or 4 weeks after you’ve mailed a paper tax return.

This information is not TurboTax's (as we honestly have no control over this part of the income tax filing process, and we do not issue tax refunds despite what many people believe . . . only the IRS and your state department of revenue has the power to do that).  Our source for this data, for the 2016-17 tax season, can be read here:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

In addition, here is a link to the Where's My Refund tool at IRS.gov:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Finally, if you do not see an update after 6 weeks (again, according to the IRS) on their website, after that time you are requested to call them.  The "Where's My Refund" tool on the website lists current contact information for the correct IRS department.

After just 2 weeks post-mailing, though, I would not be worried or concerned.  With paper-flied tax returns, I've personally seen them take well over a month-and-a-half to even show up on the IRS tracking system.  It is absolutely normal for the IRS.  Most state departments of revenue are generally no quicker.

How long did it take for the IRS to send you the letter for the signature after you mailed the unsigned form?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

According to the IRS website, it can take 4-6 weeks for them to inform you that you did not sign your return. Please click https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/signing-the-return to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ryan35
Returning Member

I can just file electronically before the letter is sent back to me?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@ryan35 If you have already paper filed, you would not be able to refile again online. That could cause a longer delay. You will need to wait on the IRS directions.

It took the irs four months to send me my form asking for signature. I have sent it back almost two months ago and have not received anything to date. I have checked the tax refund status and it keeps telling me it does not have any information. 

You went to the back of the line again.   Sorry..   it is taking the IRS six to nine months to process mailed returns.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site for information.   TurboTax gets no information from the IRS about your return after you file it.    When a human opens the envelope you sent the signed return in, and enters the information into the system, you will be able to track it on the IRS refund site.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
stockeck

What address do I send my paper return back to? Does it go to the same place based on my home address? If so, where do I find this information?

@stockeck wrote:

What address do I send my paper return back to? Does it go to the same place based on my home address? If so, where do I find this information?

The letter you received from the IRS along with your tax return should have the address on what address to use for mailing the return back to the IRS.

If not, then use this IRS website for the address to mail your return, by state - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

8 weeks

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not process your return for a refund. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, TurboTax is no longer involved in the process. TurboTax is not advised of the status of your return at all. Privacy Laws prohibit sharing client information between TurboTax and the IRS. Once TurboTax submits to IRS and the IRS accepts the return then TurboTax is no longer involved.

All inquiries, in this case, should be made to the IRS.

@mckechniet 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies