Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nwm
Level 2

Underpayment Penalty - Date Calculation

When I was figuring my underpayment penalty on TurboTax, I was asked which date I would pay the tax owed. I chose 03/08/21 thinking I would mail a check the next day, but I have decided to wait until my return is processed before paying. Is waiting increasing my penalty, or will my underpayment penalty be accurate as long as I pay before 04/15/21? I can't imagine it would fluctuate by more than a few dollars (my penalty was a small amount), so I am more interested in how this works than anything. When I reviewed my tax return, I could not find a reference to the date (03/08/21) that I had inputted or a number of days until payment or anything of that nature that was part of the underpayment calculation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

the penalty is computed through 4/15/21  or the date of payment whichever is first. 

Why 15 April if the due date is 17 May?

In the step-by-step (Premier download) it will use the earlier if 15 April or your pay date. If I pay 17 May will it calc based on 15 April?

The penalty is calculated as of the date you pay or the filing deadline (which is 5/17 for the 2020 returns) whichever happens latter.  

Agree.   However, April 15 is what it says in the Step-by-step

Ignore the old date.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies