Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I check my refund status I get this message... We cannot provide any information about your refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

When I check my refund status I get this message... We cannot provide any information about your refund

If you are getting the error message "We cannot provide any information about your refund" when trying to check the status, this should be able to assist you with that: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4242575

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

42 Replies
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you are getting the error message "We cannot provide any information about your refund" when trying to check the status, this should be able to assist you with that: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4242575

Hello TiffanyL;

I went to the IRS's Where's My Refund and entered my information correctly (I tried three different times just to be sure.) The reply has always been "We cannot provide any information about your refund." The return was prepared and mailed around March 5th. I even tried the automated telephone number and got the same result.

So what do I do now? Should I call even though the IRS website said that agents do not have more info than the WMR? Or should I just mail in a new copy with a cover letter?

I do not and will not e-file.

Any help would be appreciated...

Sincerely;

Michelle

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@Michelle44

If you mailed your tax return please be aware that the IRS is operating on a very limited basis (or not at all) for processing mailed tax returns per the message on their website: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Also the IRS advises that you do not mail in the tax return again.

cliffjc90

Hi @JeanneLO ,

I am in the same position as OP. It has been over 6 weeks since we mailed our returns in. Should we E-file them, call the IRS, or do we just continue to wait?

Thanks for your help!

U724402

For me it’s been over 8 weeks. What does this mean. That the IRS just didn’t get to the return or they dismantled receive it or something else

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

There is a delay in processing the returns as the IRS is not processing paper returns at the moment due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

utku
Level 2

Hello, 

Thanks for the information. I am one of those people who had to file paper return because of first year-residency election. I have been waiting for more than 6 weeks now without any update on the progress. It is not fair for IRS not processing any of those returns as people like me were relying on that money, what is more, we were not able to get my stimulus check because IRS does not process my 2019 tax return yet so they do not have my bank account details to send my government issued check. They even started to discuss sending 2nd stimulus checks, yet we have not received anything.

I understand they released this news on 19th May saying that they limited the operations for paper returns however at the same time they should have provided some solution for those people (10% according to the IRS website) who has to and/or willing to file paper return as their own choice. It does not make sense at all.

They say do not call us, do not write us to check the status and then what, we will have to wait forever for them to process our refunds and send out those checks? There must be something that we could do. 

Any ideas please? 

utku
Level 2

Hello all, 

IRS says they started to process tax returns again. Is there anyone who received their refunds for paper returns yet? It has been 10 weeks for me.

Regards,

Utku

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

There is a delay in processing the returns as the IRS is not processing anything paper at the moment due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

Hey @utku any luck with your return? I filed around the time you posted in June and I'm now at the 10 week mark so I'm calibrating my expected wait time around whatever your outcome was lol

Hello;

I mailed my tax return in early March and received my refund by mid-July. I heard somewhere that the IRS was processing mail in the order received - first in, first out.

Sincerely;

Michelle

@Michelle44 wrote:

Hello;

I mailed my tax return in early March and received my refund by mid-July. I heard somewhere that the IRS was processing mail in the order received - first in, first out.

Sincerely;

Michelle

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

utku
Level 2

Hi Justin, they just processed my tax return and i got my refund last week following with a payment of stimulus check, so i am pretty happy now. I hope you guys can get your tax back asap. Have a great day!

JLayton

I now have this problem as well.  I e-filed in March and have been checking back on the website often. For months the Where's My Refund? tool showed that it was being processed.  I checked today and it has changed to the "We cannot provide any information about your refund" stage.  Of course you can't get a living person on the phone, so I'm curious what this means for my refund. Does anyone have any ideas at all?  Thanks in advance

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies