Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kabalguy

Section for claiming eligible dependents says… At any time during 2021, were you not married or living common-law (i.e. you were separated from your spouse or single)?

I have not, however, it goes on to say…Note: If you had a spouse or partner, but we’re not living with, supporting, or being supported by.
I am living with my common law partner but not supporting her and not being supported by her. My daughter, financially, is solely supported by me.
2 Replies

Section for claiming eligible dependents says… At any time during 2021, were you not married or living common-law (i.e. you were separated from your spouse or single)?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you cannot claim an eligible dependant if you have lived with a common-law partner for the entire year. Refer to Line 30400 – Amount for an eligible dependant: Can you claim the amount for an eligible dependant? on the Canada Revenue Agency website for more information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

kabalguy

Thank you for the reply and for sending the CRA link.
Tie only part that confuses me is this...

• You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if you did, you were not living with them, supporting them, or being supported by them.

I do have a common law partner, whom I live with but, I don't support her and she doesn't support me.
    The dependent, my daughter by blood, is 100% financially supported by me.