Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amarvin1

someone stole my sisters refund after it was deposited into her phone they stoler her phone and drained her account but she paid for the full turbo tax package. would that be covered under the insurance agreement and how do we file a claim

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

someone stole my sisters refund after it was deposited into her phone they stoler her phone and drained her account but she paid for the full turbo tax package. would that be covered under the insurance agreement and how do we file a claim

TurboTax does not provide any type of insurance at all.  

What makes you think that there is insurance on a tax refund that would cover theft of funds?

The IRS will probably do nothing because it was stolen after being deposited. Your only recourse might be your bank or maybe even homeowners or renters insurance

I’m sorry to hear that your refund was stolen from your bank account. It’s essential to take immediate action to protect your funds. Here are some steps you can follow:

1. Report the Unauthorized Transaction: Contact your bank or credit union as soon as possible to report the unauthorized transaction. They generally have ten business days to investigate the issue. If the transaction was made using a debit card or other electronic fund transfer, you might have add...1.

2. Notify Your Bank Promptly: If your debit card was lost or stolen, notify your bank or credit union within two business days of discovering the loss or theft. By doing so, you’ll be protected from paying for transactions over $50 charged by someone who steals...1.

3. Monitor Your Account: Regularly check your bank statements for any unauthorized withdrawals. If you notice any discrepancies, report them promptly to your bank or credit union. Waiting too long could result in you being responsible for the full amount of the unauthorized trans...1.

4. Be Patient: While banks often reimburse stolen money, the process may take some time. Some banks replace the money as soon as the theft is reported, while others wait until they complete...2.

amarvin1

cauae it literally said it under the package details the one that totalled the cost 300 bucks 

The MAXX package does NOT help you with refund theft ... contact the local  police.  It only helps you deal with the IRS on tax return related issues. 

What is MAX?

MAX is an optional add-on package exclusively available in TurboTax Online. This year, you get even more great benefits, all for the same low price as last year's Audit Defense. 

Here's what you get with MAX:

• Audit Defense gives you dedicated expert assistance for as long as your return can be audited.
  • Now Included! Tax Identity Restoration in case someone files a fraudulent tax return in your name. A dedicated expert will help you restore your tax identity and get your refund back.
    • This is in addition to the security coverage already built into TurboTax. Learn more
  • Now Included! Priority Care cuts down your wait time if you need answers or tax advice from one of our tax experts.

To take advantage of all these benefits, you must purchase MAX before you file your return.

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies