Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrbdf139

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I filled my tax returned but I put it as someone could claim me but no one can claim me. How could I change that so I may receive my stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I filled my tax returned but I put it as someone could claim me but no one can claim me. How could I change that so I may receive my stimulus check?

If you qualify to be a dependent, you are not eligible, regardless of if someone claims you or not.

Taxpayers likely won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if any of the following apply:

• Your adjusted gross income is greater than
    • $99,000 if your filing status was single or married filing separately
    • $136,500 for head of household
    • $198,000 if your filing status was married filing jointly
  • You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student or older dependent who can be claimed on a parent’s return.
  • You do not have a valid Social Security number.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You filed Form 1040-NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019.

I couldn't be claimed as a dependent because I was not a full time student and I made too much money.  So how can I change my status to get the stimulus check

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

One option available to you is to consider amending your return. However, this takes another 12-15 weeks to get processed. That actually defeats the purpose as I'm sure you are hoping to receive your stimulus check soon.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies