Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cflacvet

This is the first time I have filed a return. Do I need to call CRA and set up an account and give them my info for direct deposit, before filing?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This is the first time I have filed a return. Do I need to call CRA and set up an account and give them my info for direct deposit, before filing?

You already have a tax account by means of your SIN. You just need to file with the name, SIN and DOB that CRA have on file for you.
If you set up Direct Deposit on filing, you will need to file by mail, as NetFile cannot handle DD information.

I would advise that you wait until after you have filed and been assessed before you set up DD.
You can do that anytime after you file. You can also set up My Account for CRA and set up DD on-line through the My Account service, plus many other highly useful features such as managing your TFSA contributions.

It is just possible that CRA may still have a need for more information for your file as a new filer, and in that case you will receive a message to that effect when you try to NetFile.
If that occurs and you have to file on paper, you might as well include your DD request.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You already have a tax account by means of your SIN. You just need to file with the name, SIN and DOB that CRA have on file for you.
If you set up Direct Deposit on filing, you will need to file by mail, as NetFile cannot handle DD information.

I would advise that you wait until after you have filed and been assessed before you set up DD.
You can do that anytime after you file. You can also set up My Account for CRA and set up DD on-line through the My Account service, plus many other highly useful features such as managing your TFSA contributions.

It is just possible that CRA may still have a need for more information for your file as a new filer, and in that case you will receive a message to that effect when you try to NetFile.
If that occurs and you have to file on paper, you might as well include your DD request.