Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax can not make a reFile change that is costing me $15,000

There was an error completing my tax return which was then netfiled. Now I need to make a change to my return and re-file but the software can't make the needed change. The product expert I spoke to on the phone could only screenshare and walk me through the process but there isn't a process to make the needed change. I tried starting a new return and it shows me the correct number, but I can't submit two tax returns. I need the re-file to amend my filed return in a way that it seems like it cannot do. Alternately if I'm given a code for a free return then I can complete my second (accurate) return, print it, compare all the fields, and use the CRA website to manually change what needs updated. I would be satisfied with this resolution as an alternative to trying to make the program do something it might not be able to do.

7 Replies

You need to make the corrections in the filed return. Which part are you trying to change?

I don't know what part I'm trying to change. The software didn't pull my wife's stuff from CRA in correctly because there was an issue with her CRA login. I went back to the re-file option and the return does show that we're married. I checked every field from the beginning and they are all correct but it still shows an incorrect amount owing. I know the amount owing is incorrect because after correcting the CRA login issue I began a new return which shows a different amount owing. 

Have you received your Notice of Assessment yet? You will need to wait for your NOA to see if the CRA has corrected the issue for you. They have the TSlips for both you and your wife on file and will use them to assess your return. Once you receive your NOA, it will show you where the issue was and give you the appropriate numbers, either a refund or an amount owing.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I have received my NOA and the issue was not corrected. My plan is to complete the second return in Turbotax so I can compare all boxes to my filed return then submit the changes directly to the CRA. What are the chances that TurboTax can credit me for the second return since it's not an additional person filing, it's just to correct a software error?

Andrew

You can start a return for free you will just not be able to file it. Then you can compare the two. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I've compared the two in TurboTax and all my answers are the same. I need to compare the actual tax forms to see what numbers differ in which lines of the actual return. I won't be able to see the tax forms until I pay again, correct?

Andrew

Yes, however,  you can see most of them when you go to the drop-down arrow top left and click on Summary.