Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Refund Advance Status while awaiting IRS opening Jan 29

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but I have to ask.  I always do the advance, I have always got it and I use credit karma now and it's not been an issue. 

What is weird, but seems so consistent for everyone is you have that screen that shows you the amount (in my case it was 3000$ this year as an advance) and you check all the boxes, sign and huzzzah, submitted.  The weird thing is when you log back into the Turbotax app, Credit Karma app, etc you don't see any evidence of an advance and that makes me paranoid. LOL

Have they ever not provided me with an advance they said I got? No, so why does that make me nervous? Because I need it badly this year. Ha!

I even asked for a phone call and the rep just repeated all things from the site. Once accepted, which is January 29th we get an email and the funds should come. It's just so bizarre we can't view that info after it's processed. 

Just seeking confirmation I am not alone, and that we are gonna be okay

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

148 Replies

The refund advance is simply never paid until the IRS accepts your return.  Acceptance does not mean that the IRS agrees with your figures and will pay the refund, but it does mean that your return has passed basic security and identity checks.  If refund advance was paid early, then people could abuse the system by filing fake returns that they know will get rejected, but collect the money.  Because the IRS has announced they will not start processing returns until January 29, you should not expect the advance before then.  (Of course, the IRS can change their schedule without notice, that is beyond control of Turbotax or Credit Karma.)  I don't use refund advance and I haven't filed yet, so I don't know what the in-program messaging is like, it's possible that this could be made more clear to early filers. 

Remember that Turbotax refund advance is unusual because there is no interest or fees charged, and if the IRS denies your refund, Turbotax and Credit Karma can't force you to repay the advance.  (If you don't repay the advance, you will not be eligible for another advance in the future, but you won't be sent to collections and it won't affect your credit score.)

I completely understand all of that.  I am only asking because it seems true across the board, that there is no way to review the info you got yesterday when processing until January 29 in terms of our advance.  

As stated, I have never got a different amount, it always comes, its perhaps a little earlier than I filed before so this dead window is unusual. 

It just seemed odd to me that once you file, nobody can see the "pending" advance amount until it actually hits

If you log into your account and print your tax return (or save it to PDF) the first page is normally a page of instructions and a summary of your situation.  (If you were mailing your return, it would have the address and other instructions, for example.)  Does this page contain any information about the expected advance?

Okay that was helpful. It was 20 pages before my actual return that mostly seemed to about the refund advance and refund procedures.  Lots of "if loan approved it'll be 500$ - 1000$ - etc" and describes all the procedures. I think I see that probably they can give you a projected amount but can't hold onto that so you sign documents saying you are applying for it and you give all the rights and I think it'll happen seamlessly.  Just seemed odd that figure isn't accessible again but I will wait the 12 days and have faith.  Keep hoping each year I don't "need" it but my little business gets slow for about 6 weeks in Jan/ Feb.  

Thanks for the help

I’m glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing. This is my first time getting an advance and I kept reading different things on how fast you get it. But after reading all of this, it makes sense of why I haven’t got it yet. So thank you! I was worried!!! 

@Tgarcia14  This is my first year wanting to try to do the advance- when you do it does it sign you up for the credit karma account? Like how do I then receive the funds since it made it seem like it would only be going to credit karma( which I dont currently have a card with them) thanks!

Mine is the same says I was approved for 2000 and you'd get it right after IRS accepts refund. Mine was accepted yesterday and still no information on when I'm very nervous about it too let me know if find any other information out I'd appreciate it thank you

I know Monday they start accepting returns- So I am hoping sometime next week we would receive the funds! @Kribaez8270 

I got a message saying IRS accepted my refund so would I still need to wait tell the 29th?

The IRS website says they're not officially accepting and processing tax returns until January 29th! So I would guess you won't see it until next week.  @Kribaez8270 

I was wondering the same thing. I filed 01/20/2024 and the IRS accepted it yesterday 01/24/2024 but I haven't received my refund advance yet? Can't find it anywhere on my paperwork.

RWNixon

I thought I read about the refund advance pretty well or thoroughly I don't remember reading that they're not even going to process those tax returns until the 29th of January because I'll advertisements were as soon as the IRS accepts your tax returns what your loan was goes direct deposit right then... yeah I wish I had known wouldn't be till 29th

Same thing has happened to me. I filed on 1/23, it said I was approved for $1,000 refund advance. IRS accepted mine today. I kept checking the stupid credit karma acct I was made to open and nothing. So finally I called TT and the not so nice rep told me I was declined for the advance refund. I was like huh!!? I never received any communication in regard's to this. Checked my email again, and nothing. So I log in to my TT acct and im unable to find the documents that showed the amount and that i signed for the advance. I reach out again and im told even though the irs started accepting returns the official start date is not until Monday 1/29/24. And this rep doesn’t even ask any personal info as to actually check my info to see what’s what. It was like she reading a script telling very general info. I, just like many others, did this refund advance because of needing money sooner than later. If I would have know it would be like this I would have went somewhere else. This is not my first time using turbo tax. But this is the first year Ive been so disappointed with well everything.

This stinks :(

MrsHumpty

I sent my refund on the 19. IRS accept3d and in got my Lil advance within within.  However, my boyfriends is taking longer!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies