Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have 2 children over 18 and both of us work. my question is do we need to do the taxes together or separate? what is the best option?

2 Replies

We have 2 children over 18 and both of us work. my question is do we need to do the taxes together or separate? what is the best option?

Age over 18 qualifies for dependant only if the dependant is physically or mentally impaired.
But you can claim eligible medical expenses 
that you paid for your children over 18.

(In order to be eligible, the dependant must have depended on you for support and lived with you during the tax year, or have been a resident of Canada during the tax year. )

And the tuition amount from your children's college. 

(Remind your child to request a T2202A slip from her college or university. They can transfer credits to you as long as they didn’t use all of these credits on their own return.)

Canadian tax rules do not allow spouses or common-laws to file joint income tax returns. Each Canadian files their own tax return and indicates their marital status on the return, and who they are married to / living with.

But still, your marital status has a significant impact on your return – family incomes are combined for calculating income-tested benefits, such as the GST/HST credit or the Canada Child Benefit.

Couples benefit from combining charitable donations and medical expenses.

For more information and details, please click:

TurboTax Facts Every Canadian Needs to Know About Filing Coupled Tax Returns

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

thank you!