Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dh90805

What is the difference if I file my wife's and my tax return seperately as opposed to a joint return?

she is disabled and I want to know if I can still claim for repairs for mobility issues that were done to the house we moved into last year.   Also can I claim her medical expenses if we file separate.
1 Reply

What is the difference if I file my wife's and my tax return seperately as opposed to a joint return?

Even if you are married, you must submit your own individual tax return),  there can be several pros and cons in choosing how to file your return as a married taxpayer.

*Note: The CRA will wait to process spousal returns until both have been received. Your return will not be processed quicker if completed before your spouse.

Filing a joint return:

Pros:

• Information for both spouses is prepared and entered together.
  • Your credits and benefits are automatically maximized.
  • The process of transferring amounts between spouses, splitting pensions, and dealing with RRSPs is easier.

Con:

• You must use the same version of TurboTax software (and for TurboTax Online users, pay the same price).

Filing separate returns:

Pros:

• Allows you to enter separate addresses.
  • Each person can do their own return, in the version of TurboTax software that works for them.

Cons:

• You will need to manually enter all your spouse's information.
  • You may need to fill in more information and do more manual calculations.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.