Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jorgie
Returning Member

Why has TurboTax claimed a provincial amount transferred from spouse when spouse has already used the credit for dependent children?

TurboTax Standard claimed a Provincial Amount Transferred from Your Spouse or Common-Law Partner (Schedule SK(S2) 2018), an Amount for dependent children born in 2000 or later, even though the spouse had already used the entire credit. There is no reason this amount should have transferred to higher income spouse but it has.  Is this a software bug? 

2 Replies
Jorgie
Returning Member

Why has TurboTax claimed a provincial amount transferred from spouse when spouse has already used the credit for dependent children?

It turns out that the amount for dependent children transferring to Schedule SK(S2) isn't the problem; the problem is that the software miscalculated Line #8, thus resulting in a negative amount in Line 5912, thus causing the amount for dependent children to carry down to Line 10 and transferring to the higher income earner's SK428. When I manually added up all the the amounts stated in Line 8 on the Schedule SK(S2), I came up with the same amount as CRA, which is why the NOA came back different from the return I filed.  How do I notify TurboTax that there is an error in calculations on Line 8 of this schedule?  I've had to override it to correct it to the proper amount.  See attached.
Jorgie
Returning Member

It turns out that the amount for dependent children transferring to Schedule SK(S2) isn't the problem; the problem is that the software miscalculated Line #8, thus resulting in a negative amount in Line 5912, thus causing the amount for dependent children to carry down to Line 10 and transferring to the higher income earner's SK428.

When I manually added up all the the amounts stated in Line 8 on the Schedule SK(S2), I came up with the same amount as CRA, which is why the NOA came back different from the return I filed.  How do I notify TurboTax that there is an error in calculations on Line 8 of this schedule?  I've had to override it to correct it to the proper amount.  See attached.