Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is SBTPG holding refunds?

After much research I want to know why SBTPG is holding refunds? This is not ok, and I want to know why Turbo Tax is not doing a thing about it? I will never use Turbo Tax or any other tax preparer that goes through SBTPG again. This is from SBTPG's website
"TPG does not hold your money. When a deposit is received from the IRS, your money is processed as soon as it received and typically issued within 24 hours of receipt. If you selected direct deposit, it may take 1-2 business days to reach your bank account. Your payment is not wired to your account."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

423 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

They do not hold the refund. It cannot be funded until the IRS sends the refund over. 

Have you gotten a direct deposit date from the Where's My Refund website?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@CarissaM  I'm sorry to say but you are most definitely misinformed, there's about 2000 or more TT users in a group who have called the IRS and SBTPG to confirm they do have our refunds and have had most since Thurs others fri thru the weekend. We already knew before calling because others with the same ddd as us who didn't owe fees or receive advance got their deposits. So SBTPG have and are holding our refunds by not taking fees and sending to next stop instead they are waiting until late eve of 23 or 24 to do so which will make us getting our refunds on the 24th to the 25th. So we were lied to when we filed, because we were told the same thing u stated but it's complete lies. 

Yes I received my direct deposit date last week. My IRS transcript updated to a zero balance last week, and after many phone calls and being part of a large online group with Turbo Tax filers (ones without fees and ones with), and also being told directly by SBTPG that they have had the funds I am beyond disappointed with TurboTax not working to fix the issue I won't be filing with TT again.  

@heathere0217 girl I'm with ya. They are going to lose alot of customers because of the lies they have tried convincing us of. Like do y'all think we are that dumb, to believe our refunds haven't been sent but tons of others with same ddd using other software has been deposited. Bet this hurts them with the class action law suit now this, should've done better by paying customers. Also an fyi there's an extra $40 1st refund fee on lots of people's fee report on SBTPG site but not on tt and they will not refund it unless you contact them. Good luck tho I've been trying for days n even was supposed to get call backs n never did. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

We have received reports on this and we are investigating it. In the meantime, please contact the IRS for information on your refund.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

yea the FDIC is getting involved now 

SBTPG does hold refunds if they find 'suspicious activities' per their live person that I talked after waiting freaking 4.5 hrs. My refund was funded to SBTPG on 2/23 and IRS confirmed sending my refund of 10K to SBTPG on 2/24. I don't know where Turbo Tax is getting the info but my money is not available in bank account and SBTPG is asking me to send my and my wife's DL photos to 'un hold' my refund for no explanation. Turbo Tax, do your job and please provide accurate explanation and info to your customers! Please!

Contacting IRS is pointless when IRS sent money to SBTPG is the one holding our fund as they confirmed it to me. It is SBTPG and its partner - Turbo Tax to explain to customers why our money is held for no clear reason or advanced notice.

I also officially filed BBB complaint toward TPSPG today. 

as of feb 25th 2022 the FDIC and FTC are involved

I’m sorry to misinform you but sbtpg is holding the money. I looked online and it says I’ve been funded but They have my money on hold because of unusual activity. I tried to verify my account with my social security but it says it’s invalid but yet I use my social to check the status of refund. They are a joke I won’t be using them again.

The IRS says that they deposited it in to my account so where is my money? The irs did their part now do yours that’s including your third part who’s holding my money since the 2/23. Sbtpg and turbo tax you guys are gonna lose a lot of people because of this.

Well I'm sure you like me have received your funds by now. I received a reply from someone higher up stating they received many reports about these issues and are looking into it but really does that matter now?? Does it do anything to help any of us????? Nope sure doesn't. Once you are lied to and didn't receive the level of service, or services are not as described when you agreed to the service it's a null issue at this point. Just an FYI to anyone who has experienced TT BS lies and overcharging, you can file your taxes absolutely free no matter what forms are needed, your income has to meet certain thresholds for certain filing status. 

@SForrestLO  Well I'm glad TT is finally checking up on this. But by saying checking on it do you mean the holding of funds or the 1st refund fee?? I would hope as a company they are checking into both allegations since I know they are receiving multiple reports of both taking place. As to SBTPGs policy on not holding refunds as stated in the T&C of my contract, well it's a null point now. It doesn't matter if TT finds fault in that as they will not help me in anyway now. Even though I signed a contract and that contract wasn't full filled. Also I know 100% for a fact there was NOT any mention of a 1st refund fee of 40$ anywhere in the TT paperwork. Because I do read through all of the T&C and the agreement and permissions before I sign. I've called TT at least 20 times over the last few days and Ive been told conflicting statements. I was told that during peak tax season that the T&C stated that SBTPG could take up to 5 business days excluding federal holiday to release funds. I was told that they had checked and SBTPG thought it had received some refunds that it hadn't therefore putting everything on hold, I called SBTPG they said absolutely not. There's so much misinformation going around by TT and it's employees, I don't believe anyone will ever believe anything said by this company again. I will not try to get others to use TT, I will warn against it due to employees giving conflicting answers to same question. That's horrible business 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies