Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business expenses

I was hired to fly a client's drone. The drone was stolen from my car. The loss was not insured. I bought the client a replacement drone. Can I deduct the cost of the replacement? If so, how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Business expenses

Please see this answer from AnnetteB.

There is not a specific area within the business income and expenses portion of your return to enter business related cash theft on your Schedule C, but there is a place to put it. 

Before you deduct the cash theft, there are a few things to note: 

• You can only deduct it in the year that the loss was discovered

• It is also not deductible if you have a claim for reimbursement and a reasonable expectation for recovery

• If it has not yet been determined whether you can expect to recover the loss, then you should not deduct it on the return you are currently filing.  If later it is determined that it will not be recovered, then you can file an amended return to claim the loss. 

Also, there are some documentation requirements that you must meet in order to claim the loss.  Keep this documentation with your records.  It should include the following:

• When the loss was discovered

• Information that the property (cash) was indeed stolen

• That you are the owner of the stolen property

• Whether a claim for reimbursement exists with a reasonable expectation of recovery

To enter the information about the cash theft into your Schedule C within TurboTax, use these steps (using the Home & Business version of TurboTax):

• Go to Business > Business Income and Expenses > Profit or Loss from Business
  • Click Update or Edit beside Profit or Loss from Business
  • On the summary page listing the business(es), click Edit beside the business that had the theft
  • Scroll to the Business Expenses section, click Update or Edit beside Other Common Business Expenses
  • Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Update or Edit beside Other Miscellaneous Expenses
  • This will allow you to enter a short description and an amount for the cash theft you incurred
  • Click Continue and the total amount will be included on Schedule C line 48 as an itemized list and then it will also transfer to Schedule C line 27a

Business expenses

I was not the owner of the stolen property. It belonged to my client, as does the replacement drone I purchased. But I am the one who paid for the replacement. Can I deduct that cost?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Business expenses

The theft occurred from your business.  You should follow the steps described by @ColeenD3 to deduct the expense on your return.

Business expenses

Thanks to you both!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies