Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you tell me if a fund like GBTC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust, should be listed as a "Mutual Fund, Index Fund, or ETF" or as a stock?

When categorizing GBTC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust, from short term capital gains and losses, I can select  the choice: "Mutual Fund, Index Fund, or ETF," or a categorize it as stock. Do you know which one I should select?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can you tell me if a fund like GBTC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust, should be listed as a "Mutual Fund, Index Fund, or ETF" or as a stock?

You should categorize it as Stock, or you can choose ETF.  The difference between Mutual Funds and ETF is how they are being managed. Mutual funds usually are actively managed and ETFs are mostly passively managed. Grayscale Bitcoin Trust is solely and passively invested in Bitcoin, so it could be categorized as ETF. Stock is a broad definition and could be used in almost any case.

By purchasing shares of GBTC, the investor gains exposure to Bitcoin. What is then the answer to the question in TT, "did you acquire, sell, or exchange any virtual currency in 2020?"

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Technically you are buying shares in a Trust that deals with Bitcoin and not the Bitcoin itself.  However, if you check Yes, it won't affect your return and will indicate to the IRS that you are being transparent.

@Zagros

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies