Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a member of a Partnership LLC and entered a Schedule K-1. Do I also enter Self-employment income and expenses?

On the Federal Wages & Income screen, TT is waiting for me to review the Self-employment income and expenses section.  The Schedule K-1 has already been entered/reviewed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I'm a member of a Partnership LLC and entered a Schedule K-1. Do I also enter Self-employment income and expenses?

No -- You don't have to enter your self-employment income separately..  It is included on your K-1 in Box 14 with Code A - Net earnings (loss)  from self-employment. Just enter your K-1.

To enter any unreimbursed partnership expenses (UPE), please follow these steps as you are going through the K-1 interview:

1. Continue through the screens until you reach Describe the Partnership.
  2. On this screen mark the box I am required to pay supplemental business expenses on behalf of this partnership/LLC for which I am not reimbursed. and click Continue.
  3. On the next screen, Unreimbursed Partnership Expenses, click the blue Yes box.
  4. Continue through the screens, entering any expenses incurred.

Thank you @Irene2805 for your reply!  One follow up question.

I'm doing my business taxes in H&R Block and my personal taxes in TurboTax.  For the unreimbursed partnership expenses (UPE), wouldn't those have already have been considered/entered into the data that shows up in the K-1 I'm entering into Turbo Tax?

Asked a different way:  do I need to enter them a second time on the TurboTax (personal) side of my taxes?  

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

No - If they are truly unreimbursed partnership expenses, they are not reported on the Schedule K-1 of the partnership--they are expenses incurred by the partner and are reported by the partner on his or her tax return.

Thank you @Irene2805.  That makes so much sense now!  In our case, we're starting a business and ALL the expenses have already been fed into the K-1 that's being entered into Turbo Tax.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You're very welcome!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies