Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support

I'm self-employed, how do I claim vehicle expenses?

If you used your vehicle to earn self-employed income, then you're eligible to claim vehicle expenses. These expenses can then be used on your tax return to reduce the amount of taxable business income you earned.

While you may not claim the total amount of your vehicle expenses, you may be eligible to deduct the percentage that relates to your business activities.

Watch the short video tutorial above to learn how to enter these expenses into TurboTax - Self Employed, or refer to the instructions below for help on entering them into TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download products.

How to enter your vehicle expenses:

  1. Under the Income section of the Personal Tax Profile tab, select Self Employment, then fill out your Self Employment Profile.
  2. Select Continue, then fill out the information for your T2125 Business Statement, and select Continue again.
  3. You will be brought to the Motor Vehicle Expenses Summary page. Select Add a Vehicle for Business Use.
  4. Fill out applicable information on the form provided, then select Done with Auto.
  5. You will be re-directed to the Motor Vehicle Expenses Summary page. Select Done with Vehicles.
  1. Under the Business Profile section, go to the Business Expert interview page and click Continue.
  2. Fill out the sections for entering your business information, then select Continue.
  3. When you arrive at the section for T2125 Vehicle Expenses, then select Yes.
  4. Enter the amount of KM you drove your business vehicle in the fiscal year, and the amount you drove for business purposes, then select Continue.
  5. Fill out the section for Other Vehicle Expenses, then select Continue.
  6. Select whether you made lease or loan payments on your business vehicle, then select Continue.
  7. Enter the details of your loan or lease (if applicable), then select Continue.

Related information:

Self-employment Centre

Which TurboTax product should I use if I'm self-employed?

How do I find the proper CCA class?

Why isn't CCA being calculated on my forms?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in